Digital Governance Campaign is an initiative that is designed to open civil-parliamentary relations, foster data governance and youth inclusive leadership; through the hosting of a virtual platform for legislative and constituency engagement activities.
Citizens across the world have been demanding opportunities to exercise their democratic rights to participate in the governance decisions that affect them, beyond the election of parliamentary representatives. This participation is at the core of the Open Government Partnership (OGP) agenda; it does not aim to reduce or replace the functions of parliamentarians, but to enhance their work through application of virtual mechanisms to consult, involve and collaborate with citizens.
Our goal is to create an online legislative and constituency engagement platform that will provide a democratic safe space to foster civic actions, civic conversations and civil-parliamentary relations using e-governance tools.
- To mobilize and strengthen citizens’ efforts to participate in legislative practices and processes through digitally-driven innovations.
- To create virtual political offices for young people and foster citizens’ online political participation, towards strengthening democracy, civic service, civic engagement and civic empowerment.
- To ascertain and equip lawmakers with facts that represent public opinions in making informed policies and decisions, using constituency assessments, surveys and data indicator e-tools.
- To employ the use of data governance through public inputs, in achieving people-powered legislation.
- To facilitate access to information and communication for citizens and young people to learn about, participate in, and responsibly mobilize around political and social issues through online advocacy and cyber-activism, in achieving peaceful dialogues, co-existence and politically resilient communities.
Today, young people’s self-help efforts in civic involvement have been bolstered by the use of new Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and social media sites. It is therefore pertinent for the public to leverage on a virtual political engagement platform, where specific e-governance tools can be utilized to mainstream more citizens to actively participate within a freer, fairer and safer civic space.